I think we can all agree that the greater DC metro area is a beautiful place. From the cobblestone streets of Old Town Alexandria and the picturesque monuments of the National Mall to the forested trails of Rock Creek Park and the cherry blossom trees around the Tidal Basin, there are MANY scenic options for pictures. But how to narrow it down when you've got so many great spots?! Don't fret - below I've outlined my top 10 favorite spots for portrait sessions in the DMV area.
1. Montrose Park
Located just north of Georgetown, Montrose Park is a secret little haven away from the hustle and bustle of the M Street area. Lots of greenery, beautiful trails through the woods, and a playground provide a great portrait session experience for families and couples alike!
Doesn't get much better than quaint alleyways, classic rowhouses, and a stunning waterfront with VIEWS. Georgetown will never fail us!
3. National Mall / Tidal Basin
Ohhh, classic DC. If you're looking for wide open spaces, picturesque backdrops, and quintessential Washington, this is your spot!
4. Annapolis I have yet to shoot a portrait session in Annapolis, but I have been numerous times and know that its charming little sidestreets and seaside location would make for some oh-so-lovely photos. Who wants to be my first?! 5. Old Town Alexandria Don't even get me started with Old Town. This is my FAVORITE place for portrait sessions, hands down. Especially in the fall when pumpkins sit on every stoop and the trees turn bright red. I'm excited just thinking about it!
6. Rock Creek Park / Pierce Mill If you're looking for less of an urban scene and more of a park setting but don't want to leave the city, head to Rock Creek Park! Surrounded by trees and babbling brooks, you'll feel like you're a million miles away. Added bonus: Pierce Mill is a pretty cool spot with its stone facade and classic architecture.
7. McKee-Beshers Wildlife Management Area Come late summer, the McKee-Beshers Wildlife Management Area is a COVERED in sunflowers, for as far as the eye can see! I'm dying to do a session here. Any takers?! 8. Navy Yard Navy Yard is such a hot spot these days! It's got cool old brick factories, the hip new Yards Park, and a prime waterfront location on the Anacostia River. A trifecta!
9. Meridian Hill Park With its cascading fountain and Sunday drum circles, Meridian Hill is the perfect example of a beautiful urban park.
10. Meadowlark Botanical Gardens I've been coming here since I was a kid! And it's still one of my favorite places in the DMV area, ESPECIALLY in the springtime. Oooh.my.goodness. Flowers blooming everywhere, bridges over cute little ponds, gazebos, secret trails through the woods. It's perfect. Honorable Mention: Frying Pan Park For those of you who are looking for a rustic country feel, Frying Pan Park is your place. It's got big ol' red barns, farm animals, AND a carousel!